This renovation and extension to a historic 1890’s house provided a new home for the client across the lower level with guest rental accommodation at ﬁrst ﬂoor. The vertical repetition evident in the existing house’s veranda was used as a language to inform the new addition. As such the new addition reads as a low brick pavilion, mostly hidden from the street above, with a rhythm of columns and openings onto the garden. All permanent living accommodation is located across a single lower level with easy access to the garden facilitating opportunities for the client to age in place. Slung below road level, a sense of privacy in one’s living environment is established – an important consideration for the client in this small town. The existing house was reconﬁgured and refurbished to create a master suite and small sitting room. At ﬁrst floor the existing house was reconﬁgured to create two bedrooms, a sitting room and bathroom for guest accommodation which can be closed off from the lower part of the house to enable it to be let as holiday accommodation.
Location: Clunes, Victoria
Co-ordinates: 37°17’47.3″S 143°47’15.1″E
Project Team: BoardGrove Architects, Vivid Structural Engineering, BGSM, Advantage Energy Ratings
Images: BoardGrove Architects
Words: BoardGrove Architects